THE Original Polish Sausage Stand from Maxwell Street
July 11, 1901 Jim is born in a small village outside of Duf, Macedonia (formerly
Jim arrives in the United States and travels to Chicago. Jim begins to sell Taffy
Apples on Maxwell Street. Jim starts working for his sick aunt at her hot dog stand
located on the Northwest corner of Maxwell and Halsted Streets.
Jim buys the hot dog stand from his aunt.
Jim creates the "Maxwell Street Polish Sausage Sandwich" with grilled onions, mustard,
and a specially prepared polish sausage (made by Slotkowski).
Jim creates the Pork Chop Sandwich "with the bone on a bun." Jim introduces a hamburger
to the menu.
Jim passes away. Jim's family takes over the operation of the stand.
French fries are added to the menu – FREE with any sandwich.
The chicken sandwich is added to the menu. Jim's Original moves to the Northwest
corner of Union Avenue and James Rochford Street.
The fish sandwich is added to the menu.
Jim's Original moves to the Southwest corner of Union Avenue and James Rochford
Jim's Original celebrates 70 years of serving Chicagoland.